Saturday, May 7, 2016

The Struggles of Starting Over

In some ways it feels like yesterday, but we moved our family to Virginia almost five years ago.  I never saw myself living in Indiana for 18 years, and I still find it hard to believe.  However, in those years I got to know some amazing people that changed my life forever.

I remember the weeks before we left Indianapolis being filled with old friends and spending cherished time with those closest to us.  We laughed, partied, shared memories and cried over goodbyes.  It was tough to leave them and begin this new journey; however, it was by far the best decision Kent and I ever made.  No matter what our future holds the benefits of moving our family to Virginia have been amazing.

This transition has not always been easy though. I spent a lot of time feeling homesick and wondering whether friendships would ever develop.  With time it has gotten easier and this is starting to feel like home.  Some good friendships are forming with some ladies that are amazing, strong and inspiring.  I am finding so much joy in creating these new friendships.  At the same time, I cherish every moment that I get to reconnect with an old friend.  Each one, old and new, is so precious to me.

It is kind of like that Girl Scout song that always seemed so corny, Make New Friends.  As I am making new friendships, I am still cherishing the old ones and all the memories we have.  I am grateful for each person that has shared a part of my journey and the contribution they made along the way.

I am excited about the journey ahead and the friends that are going to travel along with me, new and old.

No comments:

Post a Comment