Sunday, January 25, 2015

Teaching Life Lessons

Sometimes being a parent is challenging, but I find that being a mother has made me grow, love and experience life on a new level.  Over the past 9+ years I have felt every emotion possible and to an extreme I never realized existed.  It is by far the most amazing experience I have had in my life.

One thing I love about my kids is their desire to learn, gather information and ask questions without holding back.  Their timing can be interesting.  At times this catches me off guard and the answers don't come so easily.  However, there are also the moments when it seems my answers were waiting for them to ask the question.  Saturday was one of those times.  

We were together in the car, and one of them asked about God.  They wanted to know why bad things happen if God exists.  Although bad things have happened in my life, I truly believe in God and that life has a path/purpose.  

I expressed to them that it is often hard to understand why bad things occur to us and those we love. We talked about some of the things that have happened in my life and the ways I have grown stronger because of them.  We discussed the power of prayer and they asked about the times that people pray and the bad thing still happens.  They asked about things in the world that are happening right now and why people fight wars.  We talked about fear, greed, worry and negativity in ourselves and others.  

It was truly a discussion between us, as their parents having lived a much longer life, and the two of them, who are still so fresh to this life experience.  They had some truly amazing things to say about life, and I felt pride for the sensitivity they express toward their lives and those of other people.  

I hope for some of my views about spreading positive energy, even in the face of challenges, to be something they embrace.  It is not always easy to seek the good in situations or understand why bad things happen.  However, I have seen the beauty of strength growing out of tragedy, good triumphing over evil and a soul rebuilding after a loss.  Sometimes it can appear there is no good, no light or no hope.  However, I have witnessed a fight when it seemed no energy remained.  

We have a choice each moment to focus on what is wrong with us, the world, each other OR all the amazing good.  I believe that choosing good, believing in hope and being a beacon of positive energy helps make the world a better place.  To give without any thought of receiving in return is something I cherish.  I feel strongly about making a positive difference in the lives I touch.  We aren't perfect, greed will exist, violence will occur; however, if you impact each persons life you touch in a positive way there is that much less negativity.  And... you never know who many more people will feel the positive impact you made in that persons life.  

I know we all have times where it is a challenge to feel positive, trust me I won't say I don't have them, but I truly hope my children will continue to realize and embrace the beauty in life.  I hope that they keep asking questions and never quench their thirst for information and knowledge.  I wish for them to live a life that makes them truly happy, and that they may positively impact the lives of those who are touched by their presence, whether for a moment or a lifetime.  

No comments:

Post a Comment