Sunday, July 19, 2015

The Tools for Becoming a Stronger Healthier Me

Somewhere along this journey I started to get interested in strength training.  At first it was just to tone as I lost weight, but, it has turned into a desire to be strong, develop visible muscle mass and obtain gains in my routines.  I have grown to really love the feeling that comes from lifting weights and pushing myself through that last rep that seems impossible to complete.  There is a sense of pride felt when stepping up to a rack of weights and knowing what to do with them. 

My recent addition to this part of my routine has been a barbell, and I have to say that I love that 45lb piece of metal.  Sure it was a bit of a pain to get home from Charlotte, where I found it used, but it has been so worth it.  

Once it arrived, it was obvious that my makeshift garage workout area needed a face lift to make room for the new addition.  First, it needed a squat rack.  However, if you know me, you are fully aware that I am cheap and squat racks are not.  Therefore, I turned to the Internet for help and quickly found DIY solutions.  I am happy to report that my barbell happily sits on its new rack which can be used for squats and, at a lower level, chest press.  



I have had dumbbells, a weight bench and pull up bar for years, but this new addition has brought a whole new level of fitness to my home workouts.  Here is Friday's workout using my garage gym. My form is a work in progress, but it has come a long way.  



Just like my journey to lose weight the strength training is a slow process.  Even though it seems the weight came off easily it took the same consistency and determination this will require.  I have to show up to my workouts, do my very best and keep coming back.  Most things don't happen overnight and this is no exception.  I have two choices: sit here and allow my goals to get further ahead of me or get out there and take a step closer each day.  Just have to keep moving forward.


No comments:

Post a Comment