Friday, November 22, 2013

What Happens When You Commit to a Month of Doing Something You Dread???

I have come to enjoy most of everything related to exercise in the last few years, with the exception of one. Some people consider it a form of torture and it is used in Spartan Races as a form of punishment for skipping an obstacle. Yes, I am talking about everyone's favorite, BURPEES!!!

If you don't know what a burpee is, go ask someone and pay attention their reaction just from the word alone.  It has been known to make people run and hide just by its mere mention.  Those of us that have done a burpee or two know what an amazing addition it makes to any workout.  You can't argue with all the great benefits of this exercise; however, I will admit that my relationship with them has usually been one of complete avoidance.  Therefore, when a friend approached me about doing a 30 Day Burpee Challenge it seemed the answer would be obvious.  Why in the world would I want to spend a month doing this dreadful exercise and celebrate day 30 with 150 of them???  Apparently that super crazy part of my brain said yes before the sane part had a chance to figure out what was happening.

So here I sit on Day 22 of the challenge that seemed so obviously absurd.  I can't say I know exactly how I have gotten here, but it seems that I have committed myself to this month of dread.  In the beginning it was just a mindless thing that took a few minutes a day and was a warm up to my workout.  Around the middle of the month it became serious.  I have learned to fit burpees into my day in many ways.  It is possible that I might have even done some in the closet off my office.  Shhh!!!  Anyway, as the month has progressed I have developed a pretty strong desire to conquer this b%t$h!!!

Although I refused to admit it for a the first half of this challenge, burpees really do get easier with practice.  I am sure most of you don't want to hear that, but please feel confident that I would never lie about something so serious.  Also, getting better at burpees impacts your physical abilities in all other areas too.  I almost hate to admit that this awful exercise really does some amazing things to your body.  When I was at the gym today doing the spin bike it was a truly amazing difference.  My squats and lunges have been impacted as well.  They are lower, more controlled and just darn impressive.  Therefore, I must give burpees their due respect and tell you that they really do kick a$%!!!

So to sit here and imagine the fact that I could not even jump back for the squat thrust portion of a burpee less than a year ago is humbling.  I have come a long way from the out of shape broken down body of my past, and I hope to continue to find new areas for improvement.

The scars from the years of self abuse will always remain on this body and soul, however, I find myself further distanced from that place with each and every day.  May I never return to that place but always be reminded of its presence and the possibility of returning there.

In case you want to see burpees in action, here is a video of me doing some around day 7 of the challenge.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9cCipV_XGs

No comments:

Post a Comment