Sunday, November 24, 2013

Yep I Will Do That in Public

Each time I entered the gym to do a strength routine my eyes would instantly dart to every corner of the gym to survey the crowd.  Would this be a day where the weights would be skipped for something I felt more comfortable doing in front of other people?  Or perhaps there was no one in the gym and no fear of looking foolish.  I remember days when I headed to the gym for a good weight session, made it half way through and ended up on the bike again because of an irrational fear of what others might think.

When I started my 12 week weight lifting program in October it required equipment that I did not have available at home.  Therefore, I had to come face to face with this.  It was important for me to complete this routine, and I knew what was necessary for it to happen.  The first week in the gym was rough, and I even skipped a few exercises because I was not confident in my ability to perform them well.  However, as the weeks passed I became more and more comfortable.  As I neared the end of the 12 weeks I walked into the gym with very little regard to the people around, did my work and left.  I had conquered this fear or so I thought.

After the 12 weeks ended, I was starting P90X, and  was looking at doing it at the gym.  So that first day heading into the gym with a new routine in hand my heart was racing.  However, with the success of the last 12 weeks behind me, I got it done. Then I returned for each day after that.  So I had overcome this anxiety and gained confidence in myself through the process.  BUT... There was still one exercise that I was still not comfortable doing.  The dreaded burpee around anyone that was not of direct relation to me was absolutely terrifying. I could barely do three of them without feeling completely exhausted.   Therefore, as I started the 30 day burpee challenge this was a real concern.

I am very happy to report that two weeks ago I stepped in the gym and faced this fear head on.  I have now done burpees in the gym, in my office, in front of my coworkers and even in a park.  My burpees are far from awesome, but man have they come a long way.

Although this growing experience on the surface seems to be all about my caring less about what other people think, I believe it is more than that.  I began to realize that this was about me.  I was doing these exercises to better myself, my body and my life.  Therefore, none of these people that I was so worried about really have a place in this process or the right for me to allow them to disrupt it.  This journey has been very personal for me.  Even though my family, friends and a few complete strangers have been impacted by it, I am doing this for me!

Thankfully I have come to a place where I don't care what they think about my form or physical ability.  This journey is one of a very personal nature, and I am truly happy that it now resides in its proper place.  Who cares what other people think about what I am doing.  I am not doing it for them!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment