Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Hurts So Good!!

I started a new workout last week and it has lit a fire that feels so familiar.  It is one of those sneaky exercise regimens that looks easy when written down, and sometimes even when the workout is done. However, a day or two later something happens and I realize that workout really shook things up.

It is that moment when I wake up and something feels different than the night before.  I start to move but I am struck with the realization that my core muscles are so sore I am unable, under my own power, to sit up. Glancing at the end of the bed I am grateful to see the dog and I can use her weight on the blanket to pull myself upright.  But now I am met with an even scarier task. I must figure out if my leg muscles will allow me to stand.  I mentally scan the workout to figure out whether there were squats, lunges, etc.. Upon the realization there were a few dozen I hold my breath, prepare myself and stand.

To my surprise I find my legs feel alright.  That is until I take a step.  I feel a soreness and think what in the world used that muscle. I am not even sure I knew there was a muscle in that location.  

I hobble to the bathroom and realize there is a squat between me and the toilet.  I grit my teeth and just
sort of fall.  Ah, I made it!  But wait a minute I have to get back up.  

I begin to ask yourself irrational questions such as: could I stay here all day?  can I call my husband to help me stand up again? No, I have to get the kids up, shower, dress and go down.... Oh crap I have stairs in my house now!!!  What am I going to do???!!??  

Alright I will admit that is a bit of an exaggeration, but I have had those feelings at one time or another along this journey.  And to be honest I love the sore feeling that comes from a good workout.  It means something is changing and getting stronger. 

So let the fun continue as I head back in the right direction toward a healthier and stronger version of me.  And if you see me walking a little funny, it is OK to laugh but remember those new muscles will make me stronger and faster so it won't be as hard for me to catch you.  

Namaste!


No comments:

Post a Comment