Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Nature: Get Lost to Find Youself

I don't remember spending a lot of my childhood hiking, but I did grow up on a beautiful piece of North Carolina land.  We had over an acre, and my time there was filled with adventures and friends surrounded by woods and creeks. Many of my childhood memories encompass that time in nature.

As I grew up I spent less time in those woods, but they obviously remained in my heart.  In my twenties I met a boy that loved nature, and he introduced me to camping, hiking and exploring new areas. I will forever be grateful to him for bringing nature back into my life.

The benefits of time surrounded by woods, wildlife and beautiful scenery have been life altering for me and my family.  Each time I watch videos of nature I am instantly calmed and filled with a sense of peace.  There is no question that my place of zen is found among the trees.

Regardless of what is going on in our lives everything changes when our feet hit the dirt and soon we are surrounded by nothing but nature.  The fights among the children cease and stress/worries melt away.  There is healing power out on the trails, and I am truly in love with it.

I have begun to read more and discovered more research about the benefits of time in nature.  It can help with depression, anxiety, stress and physical healing from surgery or illness.  It has been my source of therapy for years, and I don't plan to quit anytime soon.

I know that it might not be for everyone, but I can't say enough for the life changing impact it has had on my life.  We are amazingly fortunate to live in a place where the scenery is constantly calling you outdoors.  I long for the days I can wander in the woods.

One of my current quotes that speaks to me is, "Not all who wander are lost."  For my time wandering in nature is one of the times I feel most fulfilled and whole.  I am far from lost out on those trails but instead I have found my home.

Maybe your place is not on the trails, but my wish for you is for you to find that thing that brings your soul back home.  You will know it when you are there for all longing, stress and anxiety will be gone.  There you will find peace.

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment