Thursday, September 25, 2014

Just What You Needed

It is fascinating how strangers can have such an impact on our lives.  I have had this happen more than one time in my life where someone I have never met says or does something that makes my day, turns my negative perspective around or just makes me think about things a little differently.

This week I started a new workout routine.  Instead of the ones I have been following where you do the same exercises week after week this one varies them, and I don't believe I will repeat the same routine in the full 90 day program.  That is exciting and slightly scary for me.  Although I have cleared a lot of hurdles when it comes to working out in the gym, I still get a little flustered trying something new.  I don't want to fall on my face, have bad form or look like an idiot.  Therefore, each of these sessions can be a little nerve wracking.

Today's workout was mostly things I have done before, and even though I increased my weights it went just fine.  However, there were two things that I did not feel quite as confident about.  After I got through them, packed up my bag to leave the gym, I could not help to think how foolish I probably looked on that last exercise.

To my surprise a woman stopped me as I was leaving.  I recognized her from when I was in the gym on Monday and Tuesday, but we had never talked.  As with most of the people in the gym at work, she is a guest staying at the resort.  She stopped me to say what an inspiration my workouts were and how motivated she was by what I had done down there this week.  And I have to mention she definitely knows her way around the gym.  You can't get the toned body she has without being a regular at a gym.

As I left the gym after her comment I felt so good.  It returned my focus to why I do this and that I will keep doing it.  I might not always get every exercise perfect,or look like the girls in the workout videos with their toned body flowing with each rep, but I am getting myself out there and doing my best.  If me and my old self could spend an hour in the gym, I know it would be eye opening.  I have slowly come a long way from where I began 7 years ago.  Just gotta stay focused and keep showing up for the workouts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment