Monday, August 22, 2016

Being a Parent Through Childhood Transitions

Tomorrow starts a new school year and a time to reflect on the ways our children have changed and grown.  One of my biggest joys as a parent is watching them grow and change.  Even when they are being difficult and challenging a part of me enjoys seeing them become their own person.

My years as a parent have been some I truly cherish.  I enjoy each stage as much as the last, and I don't feel like it is speeding past. When I look back on Owen's elementary school years they have been so full of changes.  His personality, his love of learning, his interests and his love of reading have all flourished during these last six years.  He has had so many wonderful experiences and begun the journey into being a young man.  I thank his amazing teachers for their contributions to his learning and life.

He has been very nervous about transitioning to a new school and taking on these new responsibilities. I feel proud and a little anxious for him to become settled into this new routine and environment.  I hope his middle school experience is as great as possible.  I know it is an awkward time for almost everyone.

Last week we visited the school, met his teachers and walked to his classes.  He had a sense of pride when presented with his gym combo lock.  This seemed to help calm the anxious feelings about this new endeavor and instill a new sense of responsibility.

He has been very affectionate the last few days as we made the final preparations for the first day of school.  We also felt it was time for a room makeover which resulted in a space that he really enjoys.

Tonight we started toward bed early in preparation for tomorrow.  There was plenty of stalling, but they finally got off to sleep, and I wrapped up some things I had planned for after bedtime.

As I was headed to bed myself I checked on both kids.  While in Owen's room I noticed that he had neatly set out his clothes and shoes for tomorrow.  His alarm was set early for extra time to shower, eat and have some time to hang out before catching the bus.  It made me so happy to see he had taken the time to help prepare for his first day.

I am proud of the son Kent and I are raising.  Sure he knows how to push our buttons, argues to a fault and can be a real pain; however, I would not change a thing.  I adore the young man he is becoming.  I look forward to a successful first day of middle school for him and a great year.


No comments:

Post a Comment