Tuesday, October 2, 2012

A Trip Outside of My Comfort Zone

This past Saturday I took on a new challenge.  I don't think this was something I ever saw myself doing, but the past three years have been littered with accomplishments I could say the same about.  Three days ago I completed my first Warrior Dash.

If you are not familiar with this event, it is a 3.5 mile obstacle race.  This particular one was in Charles City Virginia. The finish line was on the shore of the beautiful James River. One of the obstacles even involved wading in the river. I can't imagine a prettier place for such an event.

Each Warrior Dash has a slightly different set of obstacles.  This one incorporated 12 obstacles, 10 of which I was able to complete. After a few frustrating tries at the other two obstacles, I gave up and went around. I had told myself that true completion of the race was doing all the obstacles. Therefore, skipping these two made me upset.

In the days following the Warrior Dash I have watched videos of the race, looked at pictures and feelings of pride, joy and accomplishment have replaced the feelings of failure.  It was a great day and I accomplished a lot more than I have before.  It was my first attempt, and I now know things I can work on to get better.  

I am starting to think about the next event/challenge.  I hope to continue finding fun ways to get out of my comfort zone and grow stronger mentally and physically.

No comments:

Post a Comment