Tuesday, October 7, 2014

A Very Difficult Loss

Many in the community where I live are mourning the loss of a very special woman.  Although I never met her, Owen has attended school and been friends with her oldest son for the past few years. We also had a few friends in common, and I am truly heartbroken for their loss.

It never seems fair when someone so young is taken from their family, their children and our world. It is hard to make sense of why things like this happen.  The outpouring of support, love, prayers and caring sentiments are proof of the type of person she was, and I know she will be truly missed by many.

When I first learned of her passing it hurt somewhere deep inside. Even though I did not know her I felt overwhelming sadness for the loss her children, friends and family will experience.  As a mother of a son the same age it was hard not to imagine Owen growing up without me, and my not being able to see him through the years.  I continue to shed tears for what seems like a life taken too soon.

Owen took the news hard that a friend and classmate had lost his mother.  He came up with ways he could take his feelings of sadness and do something positive for his friend.  He made a card, and we have created a special prayer time each night for his friends family. Additionally, we remember in the prayer the two that died in the car accident, his friends mother and the other driver.  I am very humbled by the ways my son has chosen to face this situation.  I am proud of the sensitivity and caring that I have seen from him, and I hope these traits remain with him as he grows up.

As the days pass we will keep their family in our thoughts and prayers.  We never know when our own time will be over; therefore, it is important to spread love and care to all those around us.  Don't get caught up in work, stressing over small things and wasting time.  Every moment and life is precious.  Celebrate life as much as you can and remember those that are going through a rough patch because we all need the thoughts and prayers of another at times.

Please keep these two little boys, their family and friends in your thoughts and prayers for the weeks and months to come.  Loss is never easy.  However, there is an amazing power created by the energy of a group who are lifting others when it is hard for them to find the strength to do it on their own. May this energy be felt by those impacted by this loss and help bring them comfort during this difficult time.






1 comment: