Thursday, September 27, 2012

Not Feeling Quite Like Myself Lately

On the road of trying to be healthy, eat right and exercise you are bound to have some speed bumps.  This week I have definitely had one.  I have done well with my eating, until tonight.  I have been exercising consistently.  However, there is something just not right about the way I feel lately.  

I have not been feeling like myself and went to visit the doctor.  Among other things we are looking into, she thinks I might be having some anxiety issues.  To help with this she wants me to start doing some breathing exercise.  I never realized how hard it is to settle myself and focus on my breathing.  

Since I visited the doctor on Tuesday, I have attempted the breathing exercise at least 8 times without success.  The instructions seemed very simple.  All I have to do is find a quiet time to sit and count my breaths to 50.  It seemed easy enough when she said it, almost to the point that I figured it would not really work.  Well, at this point I can say that even a few breaths does appear to have an impact, but I have yet to get anywhere close to 50.  I am hopeful that with more practice I will reap more benefits from these breathing exercises.  


2 comments:

  1. You know I've had many troubles with anxiety so I know how you feel, Molly. Another exercise that works pretty well is to blow bubbles. It forces you to steady your breaths without you even trying...plus it's kind of fun. Let me know if you need to talk. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Years ago I experienced a numbness in my left arm and leg. It wasn't constant, but fairly often they would both be numb. I went to a doctor who said he thought it was just stress. I was really irritated by that because it sure felt physical to me. But later that same day was the last time I ever had that numbness .... so I guess he was right. That experience was a very valuable lesson (one of many, some yet to be learned I'm sure) in how my mind can play with me.

    ReplyDelete