Sunday, September 9, 2012

Surprises, Support and Encouragement

This journey has been full of surprises; some good and others not as much.  I am a true believer in the path life takes being less about crazy coincidences and more about a plan.  I have always felt that each person that enters our lives, whether for a moment or forever, has a reason or purpose.  I often wonder where I would be without some of the people that have made this journey what it has been for me.  

The decision to lose weight and become healthy was one only I could make.  Whether to share my hopes, dreams and goals with others was hard.  The thoughts of what if I fail, what will they think of me, will they ever believe in me again, rang loud and clear through my head.  But there was a voice that said, how much do you truly believe in yourself..won't the support of others help...when you fall won't they pick you up, brush you off and help push you along further than before?  A true friend would never stop supporting you because of failed attempts.  Instead they will be there to support and encourage you.  None of the big challenges in life are ever completed without some road blocks, but with the help of those around you it can be a whole lot easier.

I have found that sharing my story with others has been more powerful than I ever imagined.  I was fortunate to be part of a group in the Biggest Loser at work.  That group provided a lot of encouragement and support.  I am truly grateful to that group for that.  When we moved I felt more on my own. This resulted in a real off track trek down a much too familiar road.  Luckily I found my way back on track, with the help of some good friends.  Since I have gotten back on track this year, I reached out more to my friends and shared a lot on Facebook.  The support people have provided to me has been amazing.

I have been overwhelmed and honored by the number of people that have shared their stories about beginning exercise or changing their eating habits because of my journey.  This means more to me than I could ever possibly put into words.  It has been one of the most amazing side effects of this whole process.  To live your life and try to strive for the best person you can be is tough, but to know that your positive actions have a impact on others makes every drip of sweat worthwhile.  

Obviously, I have been deeply touched by those that have reached out to let me know of my impact, but there is yet another twist in this connection.  Not only have I helped them in some way on their journey, but they have ended up being the saving grace on mine.  I am not proud of it, but I have certainly fallen, failed, stumbled or whatever you want to call it along the way.  These people that were once inspired in some way by what I had done were the exact same people that caused me to pick myself up and move on.  To those people I can never express my immense gratitude.  

This is where sharing my story has been so valuable.  I have gained an amazing amount of support, encouragement and the occasional kick in the pants.  When I feel weak it is the energy of these people that keeps me strong.  I strive to pay this forward through my friendships and support of others.  I can't say this for everyone in my life, but I can guarantee every one of my friends and more than likely anyone that confronts me for support the following:

I will never be disappointed if you fall short of a goal, stumble along the way or let old, bad habits return
I will be there to remind you of that goal and support you in any way possible
I don't expect perfection, but I do expect honesty.  This is the key to so many things in life.  Sometimes honesty has an unexpected outcome. 

Whatever your journey might hold I hope it is full of the love, support and the beauty that others bring to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment